Latin Quarter Quebec City Français
 

 

Quebec City’s Old Town (Vieux-Quebec) is the only North American city whose walls still exist. This historic district of Old Quebec was declared one of the Seven Wonders of Canada and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Inside the walls the area around Rue St. Jean is called the Latin Quarter. It was the former home of Laval University, a seminary where classes were taught in Latin. The original Latin Quarter is located on the Left Bank in Paris where the Sorbonne University was founded.

The main campus of Laval university is outside the walls, but students still live, eat and shop on the winding, narrow, cobblestoned streets of Quebec City’s Latin Quarter. The lively atmosphere of its bakeries, restaurants, bistros and funky stores carries with it the image of a way of life that’s colourful, vibrant, intellectual and bohemian

 

 
Hotel du Vieux Quebec


1190 rue Saint-Jean, Latin Quarter Quebec City
tel: (418) 692-1850
www.hotelduvieuxquebec.com

This hotel is the only hotel in the Latin Quarter and is one of the few Quebec City hotels located within-the-gates of Old Quebec. The original stone walls date back to 1767. Each of the 50 rooms is decorated with prints by local Quebec artists.

As happened to many grand buildings in Quebec, in 1895 part of the building was destroyed by fire. The building was rebuilt to continue its illustrious saga. As it was so centrally located, at the bequest and with the assistance of the City of Quebec a place of entertainment was built. The St George Hall had arched doors and extensive patios on its second floor. Rebuilding as a hotel, the architects used the original drawings and plans as the design of the first building was unique and not in keeping with other structures in the Latin Quarter.

Auberge de la Paix – Auberge de Jeunesse


31 rue Couillard, Latin Quarter Quebec City

This building was the home of the painter Betty Baldwin (1899-1981). Betty Baldwin (nee Elizabeth Smiles) was born in Leeds, England. Cartoons, illustrations and animation were becoming the rage in this period. In 1906 the first animated carton was copyrighted and the first camera was patented. In 1910, at the age of 10, the precocious child had her cartoons printed in a local newspaper. Betty lived in Paris, New York and Portland, Maine but then in 1924 she moved to Quebec City. She adored painting Quebec winter scenes and the Quebec countryside. Her paintings are in local galleries.

 

L’Ostradamus - Cercle des étudiants - Université Laval

29 rue Couillard
418-694-9560

Bar, café and billiards welcomes young and bohemian clientele for live jazz, swing and jam sessions… sometimes.

 

The Good Shepherd Museum (Musée Bon-Pasteur)

14 rue Couillard, Latin Quarter Quebec City
tel: (418) 694-0243 (info)
Tuesday-Sunday 1 to 5 p.m. (August, Thursday-Sunday)
www.museebonpasteur.com

A hidden treasure in the heart in the Latin Quarter of Quebec City. Housed in a beautiful historic building dating from 1878 and restored in 1991 this modern institution presents on three floors, an important page in the history of social and religious women of Quebec. The museum reveals the plight of outcast women and abandoned children in the mid-nineteenth century, in a city struggling with social problems caused by mass immigration and multiple fires. It introduces three Québec City figures who defended the excluded women: Marie Fitzbach, George Manly Muir and Marie Métivier. You will find period furniture and paintings on site plus videos on The Good Shepherd Sisters which was founded in Québec City in 1850. Personalized tours in both French and English.

Chez Temporel

25 rue Couillard, Latin Quarter Québec City
tel: (418) 694-1813 (info)

Best café au lait in Québec . Bowl $3.50 cup $ 2.75. Croissant, jambon, fromage $5.00 and Québec’s unique Griffon beer $4.00

Parc Couillard

Couillard and rue Ferland, Latin Quarter Quebec City
Monday-Friday 6.15 p.m. Saturday-Sunday , all day

Bring your under 5 year olds for the slides.

Maison Calixa Lavallée

22 rue Couillard, Latin Quarter Québec City

Calixa Lavallée was commissioned by the Lieutenant Governor of Quebec to write the music to the words for “O Canada” to celebrate Saint John The Baptist Day in Canada in 1880. Before settling in this house, Lavallée lived in Louisiana, California, New York City and Boston where he died in 1891. He married a woman from Lowell, Massachusetts, Josephine Gentilly in 1867 and fought in the American Civil War and became a Lieutenant in The Rhode Island Volunteers of the Union Army.

Along with Christmas day, the June 24 celebration of Saint John the Baptist, commemorates the oldest festivals of the Christian Church, dating back to the 4th century pagan Solstice-mid summer- celebration. The first celebration of this European tradition in North America was in 1636. June 24 is now the national day of Quebecers, a celebration of French Canadian (Quebecois) culture.

Maison Montcalm

49 rue des Remparts, Latin Quarter, Québec City

Louis-Joseph Marquis de Montcalm

 

Louis-Joseph Marquis de Montcalm - ( 1712- 1759)

Montcalm was a French soldier best known as the commander of the forces in North America during the Seven Years' War. In 1756 King Louis XV promoted Montcalm to major general and sent him to New France to lead its defense against the British in the Seven Years' War.

His early campaigns against the British were major successes. His victory at Fort William Henry in 1757 was a military and personal victory and he met with notable successes in 1756, 1757. He captured and destroyed Fort Oswego on Lake Ontario. Montcalm's most impressive victory was at the 1758 Battle of Carillon, where he defeated a British army of more than 16,000 with fewer than 4,000 men. He expanded the defenses at Fort Carillon on Lake Champlain. But British mobilization of large numbers of troops against New France led to military setbacks in 1758 and 1759, culminating in Montcalm's defeat and his death at the Battle of Quebec 13th September 1759

Montcalm's time in New France, where he resided in this building, was marked by feuding with its governor, the Marquis de Vaudreuil, and the lack of support in terms of personnel and supplies from France. Montcalm and Vaudreuil on many occasions disagreed on tactics. Montcalm insisted on the European style of warfare, while Vaudreuil favored hit and run strategies that had worked well in the Canadian forest. Disagreements such as these may possibly been the reason for Montcalm's downfall.

Battle of the Plains of Abraham

Later actions in New France were less successful due in part to the massive resources the British organized against the French. By 1759, French control over the territory had been reduced to the valley of the St. Lawrence River, from Lake Ontario to the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Montcalm believed that the St Lawrence was impassable for a large force, and expected the main attack to come from the south. After receiving word from an intercepted British communication that the British were to attempt a river-bourne attack from the east, Montcalm heavily fortified Quebec City and the river's northern shore to Montmorency Falls early in 1759, and awaited the British.

A major expedition led by James Wolfe arrived and began operations against the city in late June. Montcalm held the British off, although the British successfully battered the city with gun batteries placed on the southern shore. Montcalm several times successfully frustrated attempts by Wolfe to land troops where they could form to attack the city, most notably in the Battle of Beauport at the end of July.

With winter approaching, Wolfe finally managed to land troops upriver from the city, and Montcalm, rather than retreat to the city's defenses, opted for battle. In the ensuing Battle of the Plains of Abraham on September 13, Montcalm's army was defeated. As they retreated, Montcalm was hit in the abdomen by a British musket ball. Placed in a litter, he was borne back to the field hospital on the banks of the St. Charles River. Told by the surgeons he would not recover, Montcalm replied calmly, "I am glad of it."

Cannons overlooking the St Charles River

General Montcalm knew an English attack was imminent and was prepared. The mouth of the St Charles River was blocked by booms and batteries. The French had over 200 pieces of cannons within the walls of Quebec City. The British had only one cannon on the Plains of Abraham. Montcalm had requested 25 cannons be brought out for the battle on the Plains but the French Governor only gave him three 6 lb cannons. The cannon along rue des Remparts are the more precise, long barrel English cannon, capable of firing further distances. These cannons move back and forth but could not swivel from side to side. The shorter barrel, French cannons were what protected Quebec.


 

Notre-Dame-de-Québec Basilique-Cathédrale

20 rue de Buade, Latin Quarter Quebec City
tel: (418) 694 0665 (info)
Mon-Fri 08:00 - 16:00 , Sat & Sun 08:00 - 18:00
Summer : Visit the Crypt and the Ossuaries on request.

The Notre-Dame, designated a World Heritage church, is the oldest see in North America and is the primate church of Canada and the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Quebec. It is the parish church of the oldest parish in North America and the first church in North America to be elevated to the rank of Minor Basilica by Pope Pius lX in 1874. It was built on this site in 1647. Throughout the centuries the Cathedral was destroyed twice by fire and suffered battle damage during fighting between British and French armies in 1759. The interior is appropriately grandiose and richly decorated with impressive works of art, though most of the basilica's treasures didn't survive the 1922 fire that left behind only the walls and foundations. The church was rebuilt and repaired. Each replacement was bigger than the last until it reached the size you see today - a structure completed in 1925. Everyone from four governors of New France to archbishops and cardinals are buried in the crypt below. Francois de Laval, Quebec’s first bishop is buried in the Cathedral.

 

Cathedral Of The Holy Trinity

31 rue des Jardins, Latin Quarter Québec City
tel: (418) 692 2193 (info)

This elegantly handsome Anglican cathedral was the first built outside the British Isles, oak was imported from Windsor Castle's 'Royal Forest' just to make the pews. The royal box is in the upper left balcony if you are facing the altar. (Look for the royal coat of arms.) The bell tower, 47m-high, competes for attention with the nearby Basilique Notre-Dame. A guide is usually around in the summer and gives free 10-minute tours.

Built from 1800 to 1804, it was designed by two officers from the British army's military engineering corps and modeled on St Martin-in-the-Fields Church in London, England.

Upon its completion, King George III sent the cathedral a treasure trove of objects, everything from candlesticks to chalices to silver trays. The elaborateness of the gifts heading towards the New World sent London's chattering classes atwitter.

 

Rue du Trésor

Located between rue de Buade and rue Ste Anne, Latin Quarter Quebec City
www.ruedutresor.qc.ca

Begun in the 60’s this open-air alley-way is now a “must-see”, lively outdoor art gallery where 36 local artists and their representatives display original souvenirs and their works.

 

Musée des Ursulines

12 rue Donnacona, Latin Quarter
tel: (418) 694 0694 (info)
May-Sep: Tue-Sat 10:00 - 12:00 & 13:00 - 17:00 , Sun 13:00 - 17:00 , Oct-Apr: Tue-Sun 13:00 - 16:30
chapel: May-Oct Tue-Sat 10:00 - 12:00 & 13:00 - 17:00 , Sun 13:00 - 17:00
www.musee-ursulines.qc.ca

The fascinating story of the Ursuline nuns' lives and influence in the 17th and 18th centuries is told in this thoughtful, well set out museum. The sisters established the first girls' school on the continent in 1641 educating both Aboriginal and French girls. The Ursulines were also expert embroiderers and many examples of their work are on display. There's a lovely chapel on site. It dates from 1902 but retains some interiors from 1723.

Marie de l'Incarnation, the founder, was one of the most intriguing figures from the order. Leaving a young son in France after she was widowed, she joined the Ursulines and moved to New France and lived well into old age. She taught herself Aboriginal languages and her frequent and eloquent letters to her son back in France are held by historians to be some of the richest and most valuable material available to scholars studying life in the French colony.

 
 
Within The Walls - Your guide to within the gates of Old Quebec City and of Lower Town